Race Day & Finish Festival
CANCELLED FOR 2020
The 2020 Monterey Bay Half Marathon, originally scheduled for Saturday November 14th, has been cancelled. There will NOT be a virtual event.
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation’s governance board made this difficult decision to cancel the in-person road races as they continued to monitor updates on large events from county, state, federal, and international public safety and health agencies during the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Our highest priority is always the safety of our participants, volunteers, friends and family, and residents. There are so many unknowns both with this virus and with the effects of it on large events. We were also very concerned about having access to needed public safety and medical officials, volunteers, and personal protection equipment and supplies during this ongoing crisis. We are informing you as soon as we could to give you time to adjust your plans. Again, we are very sorry that this unprecedented international crisis has forced us to cancel our races. READ MORE…
ALL OF THE BELOW EVENTS ARE CANCELLED FOR 2020.
For detailed information on all distance events, please review your Race Weekend Participant Guide when it becomes available in November 2020.
- Half Marathon on Saturday, November 14:
- DOWNTOWN PARKING GARAGES
The Garages are located on Franklin between Washington and Alvarado Streets. To park here you MUST ARRIVE by 5:30 AM. Parking is free until 11 AM. If southbound on Highway 1, take the Monterey exit 401A. Go through the traffic light and continue west on Fremont Street. At the intersection with Abrego, turn right. Abrego becomes Washington Street. Continue on Washington to Del Monte and turn left. Turn left again on Tyler to enter the parking garagesIf northbound on Highway 1, take the Munras Avenue exit 399B. Munras turns into Abrego. At the intersection with Fremont, continue on Abrego and follow the directions as shown above.
- STREET PARKING
There is parking available on city streets. Many meters and surface lots ARE enforced on Sunday.
- FREE MONTEREY PENINSULA COLLEGE PARKING AND SHUTTLE
All day free parking is available at Monterey Peninsula College (MPC). Free shuttles will take runners from MPC to a drop-off near the race start every 10 minutes from 5 to 6:15 AM. If exiting to Monterey from Highway 1, take exit 401A and turn left onto Aguajito Road. at the traffic light at the bottom of the exit ramp. Turn right at the entrance to MPC and then right again onto Via Lavandera. If coming down Munras Avenue from exit 399B, turn right on Fremont and proceed to the intersection of Aguajito and Fremont, then turn right. Follow signs inside the Monterey Peninsula College parking lot. Plan on arriving no later than 6 AM.
- FREE DEL MONTE SHOPPING CENTER PARKING AND SHUTTLE
All day free parking is available at Del Monte Center (DMC). Free shuttles will take runners from DMC to a drop-off area near the race start every 10 minutes from 5 to 6:15 AM. Take exit 399B from Highway 1 to Munras Avenue. Del Monte Center is immediately on the right after exiting. Follow signs and directions for parking. Plan on arriving no later than 6 AM.
- RETURN SHUTTLES
Return shuttles to both MPC and DMC depart from Figueroa Street at the Rec Trail from 8:30 AM to 12 Noon. See the parking and shuttle map for the exact location.
The designated runner drop-off location for private vehicles is on Pacific Street between Jefferson and Madison (in front of City Hall). It’s a short five minute walk from here to the start on Del Monte.
- BIKE VALET
Free secure bicycle parking is available for runners and spectators near the finish area.
- Saturday’s Half Marathon and 5K (November 14) begin on Del Monte Avenue at Camino El Estero in downtown Monterey. The elite and seeded women start at 6:50 AM. The elite and seeded men start at 6:59 AM, followed by Corrals A through L. The corral starts are one to three minutes apart, with the final corral starting at 7:22 AM. 5K start time to be determined.
What to Expect
- After crossing the finish line, runners will receive their event medallion, water, and a heat sheet if conditions warrant. Medical personnel will be available.
- MarathonFoto will be on hand to take your finish picture.
- Finishers will proceed through the food tent and then to gear check prior to exiting to the Finish Village at Custom House Plaza-Monterey State Historical Park. Live music, hot soup, a beer garden (for those 21 and older), and a merchandise tent will be available to all finishers.
- Runners and walkers can connect with their families and friends at the Runner Reunion area at the Plaza.
- There will be two results tents at the finish and online HERE.
- To be eligible for overall and divisional awards, runners must show a time for all split timing mats located on the course (miles 4, the turnaround at 7.8, and mile 11).
- Cash awards are based on GUN, not chip time. Divisional awards will be based on chip time. There is no double dipping; athletes winning cash awards or cash bonuses are not eligible for divisional awards.
- Awards will go five deep in five year age divisions after 12-15 years and 16-19 years.
- The awards ceremony begins at 10 AM on the stage at the Custom House Plaza.