Please note that if you are in the European Union, you must opt in to continue to receive communications from BSMF. Please opt in HERE.
If you are an EU resident wishing to exercise your rights under the GDPR, you can use the following online forms E-mail Communications & Information Sharing, contact the Registrar via email at or call 831.625.6226 during normal business hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST Monday through Friday). Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, BSMF will make every reasonable effort to honor your request promptly.
Thank you for your continued support of BSMF.
2. Questions Regarding this Policy
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation, Inc.
3618 The Barnyard
Carmel, CA 93923
For the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”) the data controller is The Big Sur Marathon Foundation, Inc., which maintains an office at the above-listed address.
3. Information Collected from Race Registrants
4. Use of Personal Information
BSMF uses your information only for lawful business purposes, as described below.
When you register for a race (via ACTIVE), you are consenting to BSMF’s use of certain personal information for purposes that are necessary for your participation in the race, including the following:
- We generate bib numbers which contain personal information, such as your name, age, gender, assigned race number, t-shirt size, start wave and corral assignment, and other information necessary for race operations.
- Basic entrant information (name, address, gender, age, etc.) is transferred to a timing system for use in tracking (via electronic chip) runners and recording the results.
BSMF also uses your name (first and last) and email address to communicate important race information and directions, and additional information that we believe will facilitate success on race day. This may include links to training opportunities and other resources and products from outside vendors. Your information is not shared with these outside vendors, unless otherwise specified below.
We also maintain email communication with race participants, sponsors, and other contacts to share information regarding future race events and other opportunities that we believe may be of interest to our race community. You may “opt out” of these communications at any time by clicking the “Unsubscribe” option on the email or by sending an email to email@example.com.
BSMF also shares some of the personal information it receives from you, as described below. Please note that we will not share personal information relating to individuals based in the EU unless you have provided your opt-in consent. For non-EU race registrants, BSMF reserves the right to share your information as follows unless you opt out in accordance with Section 7 below:
- BSMF provides finisher data (name, address, and email) to MarathonFoto, the official marathon photographer, for the one-time purpose of emailing a finisher photo proof for consideration with no obligation to purchase.
- Event results, which include the participant’s name, city, age, gender, and finishing time, are posted on the Internet and will be forwarded to the Boston Athletic Association for those runners whose times qualify for the Boston Marathon.
- Once a year, we may provide your email address and zip code to RunningUSA in order to participate in the National Runner Survey project. Survey respondents are anonymous and the results provide BSMF with valuable information used for planning and marketing.
- Names and addresses of marathon runners living outside of the Monterey Peninsula but within the continental U.S are given to the Monterey County Herald for the mailing of newspapers covering race weekend.
BSMF does not sell, rent, or provide your non-public personal information to anyone other than as stated above. Unless required by subpoena or other court order, BSMF will not disclose or share your personally identifiable information with any individual, organization, company, or non-affiliated third party. BSMF may, however, at its sole discretion, share statistical data with race sponsors or media agencies. This statistical data does not include personally identifiable information about any individual and is used for quantitative purposes only.
5. Use of Aggregated Data
BSMF may monitor aggregated data regarding use of its websites, including bigsurmarathon.org, montereybayhalfmarathon.org, runinthenameoflove.org, and salinasvalleyhalfmarathon.org (hereafter collectively referred to as the “Sites”) for lawful business marketing purposes, and to improve and promote use of the Sites. In connection with such purposes, BSMF may share aggregated data with third parties collectively and in an anonymous way. Disclosure of aggregated data does not reveal personal information about individual users in any way that identifies who they are or how to contact them.
To enable features on the Sites, BSMF may assign one or more “cookies” to your Internet browser. Cookies, among other things, speed navigation through our Sites, keep track of information so that you do not have to re-enter it each time you visit our Sites, and may provide you with customized content. A cookie is an Internet mechanism composed of a small text file containing a unique identification number that permits a web server to send small pieces of information or text by means of your browser and place them on your computer’s hard drive for storage. This text lets the web server know if you have previously visited the web page. Cookies do not provide the identity or personal information of any user.
7. Withdrawing Consent to Use
8. Storing of Your Personal Information
BSMF has implemented and maintains appropriate technical and organizational security measures and procedures to protect the personal information BSMF receives in connection with its family of running events. Please note that the security of your personal information depends in part on the security of the computer or other device you use to access our Sites and to communicate with us, and also upon the security measures you use to protect associated usernames and passwords.
9. Privacy Rights Specific to European Union Residents
If you are based in the EU, you have rights under the GDPR in relation to your personal information, in certain circumstances.
- You may have the right to request access to any personal information BSMF holds about you, as well as related information, including: the purposes for processing the personal information, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the personal information has been shared (where possible), the period for which the personal information will be stored, the source of the personal information, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- You may have the right to obtain, without undue delay, the rectification of any inaccurate personal information BSMF holds about you.
- You may have the right to request that personal information held about you by BSMF is deleted.
- You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your personal information by BSMF.
- You may have the right to request transfer of personal information from BSMF directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.